President Margaret Spellings?
Ha! Just kidding! Margaret Spellings is the current Secretary of Education and isn’t president. Come on, silly, what were you thinking?
So…how does the Secretary of Education skip all of that running for President and the election and just become President of the United States? Why, have everyone in front of you in the line of presidential succession die! Want to know the current line of succession? 1I got this list from infoplease. Well, here it is –
- Vice President of the United States and President of the Senate
- Speaker of the House of Representatives
- President of the Senate pro tempore 2The President of the Senate pro tempore is the second-highest-ranking official of the United States Senate and the highest-ranking senator. The current President of the Senate pro tempore is Senator Robert Byrd (D-West Virginia).
- Secretary of State
- Secretary of the Treasury
- Secretary of Defense
- Attorney General
- Secretary of the Interior
- Secretary of Agriculture
- Secretary of Commerce
- Secretary of Labor
- Secretary of Health and Human Services
- Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
- Secretary of Transportation
- Secretary of Energy
- Secretary of Education
- Secretary of Veterans Affairs
- Secretary of Homeland Security 3On March 9, 2006, President George W. Bush signed HR 3199 which renewed the Patriot Act and amended the Presidential Succession Act to include the Secretary of Homeland Security in the line of succession after the Secretary of Veterans Affairs.